Receding Gum Treatment in Crofton Maryland
Causes of gum recession:
- Incorrect brushing technique (scrubbing, sawing).
- Too hard of bristles on toothbrush.
- Heredity; genetics plays a role in how strong or fragile the gums are.
- Clenching or grinding of teeth.
Problems associated with gum recession:
- Root cavities.
- More tooth sensitivity to cold, hot, sweets, citrus fruits, acids.
- Roots erode and become notched.
Treatments for gum recession:
- Gum grafts—to stop or slow future recession; cannot always repair damage already done.
- Root surface bonding. Covers exposed root surface to minimize root sensitivity.
What can be done to minimize gum recession:
- Brush exclusively with an electric toothbrush.
- Do not scrub or saw with the toothbrush.
- If you have to use a manual toothbrush, always use soft bristles.
- Have a nightguard made to remove damaging effects of tooth grinding.